banner

 

Friday, August 04, 2006

Weddings and Cake

quilled wedding cake free quilling pattern
Ah, you cannot think of a wedding without thinking of the beautiful wedding cake. I know that I loved my wedding cake, but I must admit that my sister had one of the most beautiful wedding cakes I have ever seen. Her florist decorated the cake with the most beautiful purple roses! It was awesome.

I have a few wedding related themes going on in my head lately, and I thought that I would share with you a quick little pattern for a 3-tier wedding cake. First let me share with you that I love adding quilling to something. In this case I created the 3-tiered wedding cake out of cardstock and added my quilled flowers on top:

This is an intermediate to advanced quilling and uses some quilling styles I have not provided instructions for - I apologize in advance for that. I promise that I will add those instructions over the next few weeks.

I used 1/8" (.3cm) quilling paper for all of these flowers. I hand fringed the flowers too - a bit difficult because of how narrow the strips are, but they make for very full flowers! Click here for instructions for Fringed Flowers

Top Tier
  • 3 Fringed flowers - 3" (7.6 cm)

Middle Tier
  • 2 S-scrolls - 3" (7.6 cm)
  • 1 Fringed flower - 3" (7.6 cm)

Bottom Tier
  • 2 Open Coils with a tail - 3" (7.6 cm)
  • 2 Alternate side looped flowers - 6" (15.24 cm)
  • 2 V-scrolls - 4" (10.1 cm)

A V-scroll is like the heart scroll except you roll the ends away from each other

I showed the same quilled pieces on 2 different colour cardstock. I often play with my pieces this way before I glue them down. :-)

Hope you try this and please send me a note with a picture and let me know how you did!

Antonella

Again, I apologize because I have used fringed flowers and alternate side looping but I have not provided instructions on those yet. I promise, more instructions to come!

Copyright Antonella DeFalco

5 comments:

Chandni said...

hello antonella,
was looking up quilling on wikipedia and came across your work on it. Also this wedding cake idea is brilliant. however,in india, we a cake is not an integral part of the wedding ceremony.
your flowers are SO neat!
i regularly go through your blog to learn from you.thankyou sooo much!
love chandni :D

Chandni said...

hello antonella!
the wedding cake decoration idea is brilliant..but in India weddings cakes are not an integral part of the celebrations!
anyway ur flowers are lovely, do u use a fringer?i cut mine with a scissor which is quite tough..
lovely work as usual!
take care
chandni
ps: oh i was lookin thru wikipedia 4 quilling and came across ur work..its explained very well there for beginners!

Chandni said...

nice idea!

Antonella said...

Nady,

Thank you for your comments. I would have emailed you directly, but I cannot find your email. Sorry...

About your question - I do not have a fringer, and as far as I have been able to find out, there aren't any fringers that will do the 1/8" paper. I hand fringe my pieces, and yes, it is difficult for the 1/8" but I really like the look. Sometimes I will use one of those small binder clips that you can get in an office supply store to hold my paper. This helps me with holding the paper. Then I just cut the small cuts in the paper. One other trick I found with fringed flowers is that you don't have to use long strips. Often a small 4 - 6" strip makes a really pretty flower.

I will work up a post with pictures.

Thanks,
Antonella :-)

Antonella said...

Chandni,

Thank you for your comments. I have only been to one traditional Indian wedding when I was in college. What are some of the items that are traditional for an Indian Wedding?

Antonella :-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails