banner

 

Saturday, November 19, 2011

Filigree Friday Birthday Card

Quilled birthday card spellbinders
I know, not your traditional birthday card, but then again, isn't that part of the fun???

If only there were more time :-)  I would love to have more time to create, but for the moment I am trying to be content with the time that I have to create!

This is a birthday card with a distinctly fall theme, oh yeah, and I also *had* to play (I mean use) the Spellbinders dies that my friend Lucy let me borrow.  Oh, and I have to tell you they are addicting! I tried several of the dies that Lucy had (and bless her she has so many of them, and she let me borrow her entire collection and her cuttlebug for almost 2 weeks!! and another addiction was born)

So, for this card I was inspired during one of my blog walks (that is what I call it when I start out reviewing the posts on my blog roll and then end up following one link after another and end up someplace new... Unfortunately, I didn't save the picture, but made a sketch and then this card was born :-)

Quilled birthday card spellbinders
The following are general guidelines I used when I made the card, I just ran with the idea and didn't really measure anything (yes, I really just picked the paper and started cutting - of course this was after I took a post-it and made a little sketch - lol)... So...

I cut a 12x12 sheet of scrapbook paper in half (I chose one with no design because I knew I would be decorating it, but a nice decorative scrapbook paper would look great!)

I folded the paper into thirds at 4" and 8"

Next I lightly drew lines for the cake layers at approximately 2.5" and 4" and cut the layers of the cake - Yum!

The next part was pure fun, I used my Martha border punches and fun paper and created the cake decorations.  I folded them around the layers so they would be visible when the card was open or closed. The "Happy Birthday" is also a Martha punch.

The circle scallops are Spellbinders dies, I used various sizes and added lots of bling.

On the tallest panel, I added a scallop flower.  I cut 3 different scallop circles and then made several cuts, like I would for fringed flowers, and layered them.

Quilled birthday card spellbindersThe quilled element uses multiple quilling strips, I don't know that this has a name.  I grabbed a bunch of quilling strips in autumn colors and glued them in the center.  To create this look, I then started at one end and gently pulled the strips to create the bowed shape.  When it was something I was happy with, I glued that end and then curled the ends.

I placed the scallop, fringed flower in the center and added mini flowers on the curled ends (these are the cast offs from the flower border punch I used).  I also added the pine branch punch (this is a newly acquired punch and will definitely be making an appearance in my Christmas designs - too fun!).

I took these pictures at home and missed the final version of this card... just as we were ready to leave, I took a final look and added a rhinestone to the scallop, fringed flower and off we went.

I hope that you enjoyed this card and would love to see your creations!

Update 11/19: 
Linking up to these parties

BFF Open House Link Party #29 and Carmex Healing Lotion Giveaway

Whipperberry Friday Flair Link Party

Enjoy! Copyright for Personal Use Antonella DeFalco

7 comments:

Szalonaisa said...

This is unique and gorgeous card!!

Dr Sonia S V said...

Such a beautiful design what a wonderful idea to use an accordion fold for a birthday cake. Fantastic
Cheers
Sonia
cardsandschoolprojects.blogspot.com

chillin with Quillin said...

beautiful design !!!!!
Paula

Carol, The Answer Is Chocolate said...

What an amazing card. It's a gift in itself! Thanks for sharing at this week's BFF Open House!

SUGANTHI said...

Lovely scrolls and a beautiful card.

SUGANTHI said...

Lovely scrolls and a beautiful card.

SUSAN said...

so cool and unique card...

hugs,
susan

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails