banner

 

Sunday, March 11, 2007

Free Quilling Pattern Pink Dogwood with Butterfly


I am attaching a picture of a card that I made using a photograph that I took of a Pink Dogwood. I started with my original photograph and then focused on a particular portion of the photograph to create the attached magnet.

This post is for my friend Lynn. I like this idea
My supplies for this project are:
  • 4x6 photograph of Pink Dogwood (follow this link to my Flickr! account)
  • Business Card - Magnet size photograph (follow this link to my Flickr! account)
  • Business Card Magnets (purchased from office supply store, like Staples)
  • Quilling strips (please feel free to use any color you like - Paplin pearlized papers have been used in this photograph)
  • Rhinestones
  • Clear photo corners to attach the magnet
  • White Glue to affix quilling (Elmer's or any clear drying scrapbooking glue)

Instructions:
  1. Print the 4x6 photograph and attached it to a card blank (approximately 5 x 6-7/8 inches or A-7 size).
  2. Cut apart the business card size photographs.
  3. Removed the paper from the business card magnet exposing the tape and affixed the photo. Note: for more durability and a stronger bond, you may add additional adhesive to the photo.
  4. Quill the flower following attached instructions
  5. Quill the butterfly following attached instructions
  6. Affix flower and butterfly to magnet (use photo as a guide)

To make the flower:
  • 5 - 6 inch (15.24 cm) Teardrops
  • Glue teardrops with pointed ends touching
  • 1 rhinestone place on top of center where teardrops meet

Butterfly
Butterfly wings:
  • 1 large wing using the Spreuer Technique - 7up-6L-5L-4L (For this wing, begin wrapping with the longest length going straight up and then each subsequent smaller length continuing to the left (L) to create the shape)
  • 1 large wing using the Spreuer Technique - 7up-6R-5R-4R (For this wing, begin wrapping with the longest length going straight up and then each subsequent smaller length continuing to the right (R) to create the shape)
  • 2 small wings using the Spreuer Technique - 5-3R-3L (for these smaller wing sections, begin wrapping in the center and then wrapped to the right (R) and then the left (L))
  • Place the bottom (glued end) of the small wing into the space at the bottom of the large wing. This allows the small wing to lay against the body of the butterfly.


Butterfly Body:
  • Take a purple triangle of paper, beginning at the wide end, start rolling the paper.
  • Note: Roll the paper several times until the body is a width that is pleasing, then apply glue to the inside of the triangle so that the paper retains its shape.


Special Notes:
  • Links have been included to previous posts that contain instructions for making the teardrop shape referenced in these instructions. Please read the Spreuer Instructions if this is the first time you are attempting this technique. I also have a PDF file that contains the Spreuer Instructions if that is easier for you.
  • I have sized the dogwood photograph and the business card photos so that they are 4x6. I have done this so that you can take the file and print it on your home computer or send it out to have it printed. Please let me know if you are having any problems with the photos on Flickr!
  • Please send me a note with your email address and I will send you the files or answer any questions directly. Please look on my profile to find the link to send me email.


Enjoy!
Copyright Antonella DeFalco

Technorati Tags: , , , , , , ,

2 comments:

Tranquilita said...

Thank you for sharing your beautiful idea, Antonella. I just get my spreuer and I would love to make this project.
Greetings from Mexico.

Unknown said...

Tranquilita - I am so happy that you like it. I wish you luck with your project - I would love to see it. Hugs, antonella :-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails