banner

 

Saturday, February 23, 2008

Free Pattern Quilling Artist Trading Card


I promised that I would share the pattern for the One World, One Heart Artist Trading Card (ATC) that I made for Lisa Oceandreamer.

For this ATC I used a variety of techniques and I also played with fonts. I think that my passions run from Paper (being top of the list) to fonts running a close second. Of course, these are outside of the real-life people in my life - lol.

This was a one of a kind ATC as I was making it as a gift for Lisa as hostess of the One World, One Heart blogging event. She really went above and beyond and I can only imagine all the work she put in to keep up with all the requests to join the event.

Many of my projects involve the use of a product called PowerPoint. This is a Microsoft product that allows me to play with objects and place them where I want. I created the text One World One Heart in a font called Scriptina, http://desktoppub.about.com/library/fonts/hs/uc_scriptina.htm, there are a variety of places you can download it, this is just one of them.

I like this font because it has a very thin line and flows well (it even works on vellum). This is what I did:

  • I placed the text as though I had stamped it all over my 2.5 in x 3.5 in (6.5 cm x 8.9 cm) trading card area.
  • I let the text run over the side of the trading card area because I knew that I was going to crop it later.
  • I printed it on a white cardstock, so I added a translucent pink to the area that would be cropped.
  • The other thing that I did was to use different shades of pink and red so that the center text would really stand out. You can see this if you look at the picture.

Then I printed it out and cropped it so that it was 2 in by 3 in (5 cm x 7.6 cm). I did this because I mounted it on a glistening pink color cardstock.

I inked all of the sides with a rose colored stamp pad to give it that shabby chic appearance. What can I say, I like inking the edges of my papers.

Now I was ready for the quilling, and I have been really into scrolls lately and so I used double scrolls and heart scrolls.

  • 6 - 3 in (7.6 cm) White Double Scrolls
  • 3 - 3 in (7.6 cm) Red Heart Scrolls
  • 1 - 3 in (7.6 cm) Green V-scroll
  • 1 - 1.5 in (3.8 cm) Green shaped Teardrop
  • 1 - 1.5 in (3.8 cm) Green strip for the stem

  • My favorite thing about the double scrolls is that if you arrange them in a certain way, they join together to make a heart. Like ornamental ironwork. So I used this to my advantage, playing on the "heart" theme of the event.

  • I arranged 2 pairs of double scrolls this way creating 2 "Hearts with a flourish"

  • I arranged 2 Heart-scrolls with the pointed ends touching and then took the remaining 2 double scrolls and glued them to either side. I then added a rhinestone in the center.

  • The final element I added was a heart flower. For this I added a Heart-Scroll wrapped with a V-Scroll and then placed a strip of green quilling paper and added a shaped teardrop for the leaf.

I hope that this inspires you to try making one of your own Artist Trading Cards.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

Sherry said...

Girl, you are so good to do a tutorial on this!!! Have you ever submitted anything to "Cloth, Paper Scissors" magazine?! They are always looking for ideas and for tutorials. If you don't have the address or info, email me. You should definitely be submitting!!!

Antonella said...

I definitely need to look into that! I just need to find time now - lol.
Hugs,
antonella :-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails