banner

 

Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Free Quilling Heart Pattern

This is a very special heart for me. It has been published in the 2008 Accord Quilling-A-Day Calendar.

This pattern is great to use for Valentines Day, Wedding Cards, Anniversaries, any love filled moment or occasion. I have decided to use this pattern as my inspiration piece for the One World, One Heart blogging extravaganza. I say the inspiration, because I will post tomorrow the pattern for the actual giveaway.

I am including this pattern from the calendar here on my blog so that you can easily find it. The bonus is that I will also be sharing some helpful hints that were not included in the calendar.

First, I need to start by saying that there are certain shapes that I absolutely love to use, and the S-scroll shape is definitely one of those shapes. Please click here for the instructions to make the S-scroll shape.

I think you can see by the picture... I think that they make for such a light, elegant look to your quilled design. The only problem I have found with the S-scrolls is because they are so airy, there is not much glue surface area so you have to be careful with these designs. If you can attach your S-scroll to another shape that is always helpful as you now have an additional anchor point in your work.

To make the heart shape do the following (please use the picture for placement):




  • 14 - 3 in (7.62 cm) S-Scrolls – Arrange in heart shape.

  • For a perfect heart shape every time, Draw, cut, or punch out the heart shape and use this shape as your heart pattern.

  • Look closely at the top and bottom of the heart where the 2 sides meet, I found that the nicest look and shape for the heart happen when you connect/glue the S-scrolls such that they are facing eachother and you glue the bottom.

Embellishments for the Heart. I chose to use Heart Coils to add to the "LOVE" theme (the best part is that you can change the shapes and create a completely unique design):

First Heart Embellishment Arrangement:



  • 3- 3 in (7.62 cm) White Heart shaped coils

  • 2 - 1 in (2.54 cm) Green Spirals

  • Note: I have cut the 1/8 inch (.3cm) quilling strip in half, when creating the spirals for a more delicate look. You can also use 1/16 in (.15 cm) wide paper if you have some.

  • I placed the hearts at the top of the heart where it dips in the center.

  • I thought this made it look like the heart was a delicate necklace with the hearts as the pendant.

  • I have to share with you that I don't like the color green I selected. I had new paper that I wanted to use, but I would definitely go with a deeper green than this.
Second Heart Embellishment arrangement:



  • 4- 3 in (7.62 cm) White Heart shaped coils

  • 2 - 1 in (2.54 cm) Green Spirals

  • Note: I have cut the 1/8 inch (.3cm) quilling strip in half, when creating the spirals for a more delicate look. You can also use 1/16 in (.15 cm) wide paper if you have some.

  • These hearts I arranged on the top, right side of the heart for some added interest.

Here is a variation I made and framed to show you how you might modify the original design to create something similar, yet uniquely your own. :-)




Please have fun with this pattern/design. Feel free to share with me what you have created.

Enjoy!
Copyright for Personal Use Antonella DeFalco

Technorati Tags: , , , , , , , ,

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It looks absolutly stunning...........
Even i will try and make this,and give to some1 special.......

Antonella said...

I hope you do, the S-scrolls have this magic about them and make the most delicate and beautiful works! Hugs, antonella :-)

Dr Sonia S V said...

Hi This would be a super cool heart for valentine.Thanks
Dr Sonia S V
http://www.entbangalore.com

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails