banner

 

Saturday, June 17, 2006

How to get started Quilling

You will be happy to learn that getting started in quilling is easy and not expensive. You will need a few basic supplies. I was fortunate to have a local craft store that carried the supplies that I needed, but I have found that the best place to find most items is online. All you need to do is a search for quilling. You can probably start quilling with less than $20, that is if you can prevent yourself from ordering everything you see like I generally want to do.

First I will describe the basic “quilling” tools:

There are generally two types of tools. The “Slotted” tool and the “Needle” tool. I have generally seen them packaged together, but you can purchase them separately.

I found that when I first started quilling I liked using the “Slotted” tool. This is a metal instrument with a tiny slit (slot) at the top. The slit is where you will place your paper. The reason I liked using the slotted tool when I started is because it was easier for me to coordinate turning the paper. I use it today for shapes that I feel I need more help turning the paper.

As I became more comfortable with my quilling, I started using the “Needle” tool. This is a tool that has a wooden handle that has a long, thin piece of metal that looks like a needle. If you do any embossing, it is similar to an embossing tool but has a long pointed end. I have found that I can also use it to pierce my paper, pricking. Don’t tell too many people, but I must admit that I used my needle tool in the beginning to put glue on my quilled pieces.

Today, I will use any combination of the slotted or needle tool, depending on the shape. The needle tool can easily be replaced with quilting needles and pins. Recently I have become enamored with using a pin, yes, those thin pins that you find in most any store that sells sewing supplies. I like them because they help me to create very tight circles with tiny openings in the center.

I cannot continue until I tell you that there is one set of tools that most of us have readily available, that is our hands. That’s right, it is called finger rolling, and you roll the strips of paper in your fingers. This tool is particularly useful because you never leave it at home!

I must also share with you some alternative “tool ideas” that you may have around the house for the needle tool… As I mentioned earlier, you can use straight pins, needles, hat pins, and office supply products. I have heard people say they use paper clips that they straightened, I admit I use those “T” pins sometimes as well. These “T” pins are used to keep things posted on cube walls, but I have begun using them to place my glue.

You will find that many people will use a toothpick for all of their quilling. If you ever go to a class to learn quilling, the instructor will probably provide you with a toothpick if you do not bring your own tools. Look for toothpicks that are round, I have seen some that are more square-ish in shape and will cause your shape to lack the smooth, round lines.

Ok, I have written a lot, so I will pick up with this topic later…

Antonella
:-)

Copyright Antonella DeFalco

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The other tool that I can't live without is my tiny ultrafine-tipped glue bottle. I used to apply glue with a toothpick but this little bottle has been life-changing! I use it for all sorts of paper crafts actually. I bought it online at Quilled Creations. It's about $5 and worth every penny.

Antonella said...

Stefani - Funny you should mention that... I talk about that in my next post. I don't have one yet, because I hate to give up the glue that I have and as you know, a little goes a long way, but it will probably be a purchase soon. :-)

Gene and Charli said...

For those who don't want to spend the money for the ultra-fine tipped bottle Paplin has bottles that you can customize the holes on and they cost $0.75 each . http://www.too-bad-dogs-inc.com/store/WsDefault.asp?One=182 (Sorry Paplin had no picture of the bottle so we linked to our store). The bottle comes to you with no opening just a long closed tip that you can pierce with a needle or cut off. I have several that I fill with various glues and hole sizes. Some stores like ours will create the pin hole for you. Lake City Crafts has a top that you can put on most glue bottles that is also ultra fine. Here's a link to the picture of it. http://www.quilling.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=LCCC&Product_Code=185&Category_Code=Tools It is $2.50. I also use syringes with various sized needle. These give you a bit more control over the amount of glue.
Thanks for all the things you do to advance the knowledge of quilling

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails