On the Sixth Day of Quilling we made a Birdhouse. As I have mentioned earlier, I really like birdhouses and I love how you can use quilling to dress them up.
This project was especially fun. I have extended the scroll challenge and forced myself to look at them in new and unique ways... I hope you like the way I turned S-scrolls into a pair of love birds for this project.
For this Birdhouse, I started with creating the basic birdhouse shape by taking red paper and decorative scissors and did the following:
- Cut a 1-/12 inch square for the base
- Cut another 1-1/2 inch square and cut it in half at an angle to make a triangle for the roof
- I then took a gel pen and made a dash-dot (-.-.-.) pattern around the outside edge. I did this so that it is easier to see the delineation between the roof and the base. This is a scrapbooking/cardmaking thing.
- 1 - 4 inch (10.16 cm) heart scroll
- 1 - 4 inch (10.16 cm) T-scroll
- Place T-scroll inside heart-scroll to complete the shape. Glue to the roof.
- 1 - 3 inch (7.62 cm) coil heart, place between roof and base
- 1 - 2 inch (5.08 cm) heart scroll, place beneath the love birds
I bet you didn't think that you could make birds from S-scrolls - it is very easy, here is how you do it...
- 1 - 3 inch (7.62 cm) S-scrolls
- 1 - 3 inch (7.62 cm) double scroll with no hook (attach it to the bottom part of the S-scroll, it looks like feathers)
- 1 - .5 inch (1.27 cm) folded for beak, attach to the top part of the S-scroll
- Look at the picture to see how the pieces fit to get bird shape
- Place these love birds so that they are facing each other, perhaps they are singing a love song to eachother
What I really love about this is that it is an instant ornament for the tree. I find that I like to use birdhouses for new homes or weddings, so if you know someone who recently bought a home or got married this is a great "1st Christmas" ornament for the tree or scrapbook page.
Copyright Antonella DeFalco
Technorati Tags: quilling, paper filigree, filigrana, free quilling pattern, christmas quilling, free pattern, naqg, childrens crafts, quilled birdhouse