banner

 

Wednesday, December 06, 2006

On the Sixth Day of Quilling - Birdhouse


On the Sixth Day of Quilling we made a Birdhouse. As I have mentioned earlier, I really like birdhouses and I love how you can use quilling to dress them up.

This project was especially fun. I have extended the scroll challenge and forced myself to look at them in new and unique ways... I hope you like the way I turned S-scrolls into a pair of love birds for this project.

For this Birdhouse, I started with creating the basic birdhouse shape by taking red paper and decorative scissors and did the following:
  • Cut a 1-/12 inch square for the base
  • Cut another 1-1/2 inch square and cut it in half at an angle to make a triangle for the roof
  • I then took a gel pen and made a dash-dot (-.-.-.) pattern around the outside edge. I did this so that it is easier to see the delineation between the roof and the base. This is a scrapbooking/cardmaking thing.
For the quilling, I used 1/8 inch (.3 cm) wide strips. The instructions for putting together the birdhouse are as follows:
Roof
1 Heart-T-Scroll

  • 1 - 4 inch (10.16 cm) heart scroll
  • 1 - 4 inch (10.16 cm) T-scroll
  • Place T-scroll inside heart-scroll to complete the shape. Glue to the roof.
Base
  • 1 - 3 inch (7.62 cm) coil heart, place between roof and base
  • 1 - 2 inch (5.08 cm) heart scroll, place beneath the love birds
S-Scroll Birds (make 2)
I bet you didn't think that you could make birds from S-scrolls - it is very easy, here is how you do it...
  • 1 - 3 inch (7.62 cm) S-scrolls
  • 1 - 3 inch (7.62 cm) double scroll with no hook (attach it to the bottom part of the S-scroll, it looks like feathers)
  • 1 - .5 inch (1.27 cm) folded for beak, attach to the top part of the S-scroll
  • Look at the picture to see how the pieces fit to get bird shape
  • Place these love birds so that they are facing each other, perhaps they are singing a love song to eachother
This project is simple and easy to make, remember to always stop and break your project down into your quilling shapes.

What I really love about this is that it is an instant ornament for the tree. I find that I like to use birdhouses for new homes or weddings, so if you know someone who recently bought a home or got married this is a great "1st Christmas" ornament for the tree or scrapbook page.

Enjoy!
Copyright Antonella DeFalco

Technorati Tags: , , , , , , , ,

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the love birds.

Anonymous said...

I might use these birds on a wedding card. I have printed out a heart shape and in the centre I have used the quote from one of your wedding cards even if it does say that love does not consist of gazing at each other etc. I have used pale pink paper with darker pink hearts scattered over the page. If this doesn't work I plan to use the scrolls around the outline of the heart.
Thank you for giving me inspiration to get back into quilling to make this card.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails